velodrome track race - kissena queens new york

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Racing just to finish

My last post was about winning. This time it's about getting dropped. It's happened twice this year, both times at Floyd Bennet Field, both times in the 1/2/3 race, on the backstretch near the old finish line. It was on very windy days.

The backstretch is completely flat but on windy days I should approach it like a steep hill. When a little gap opens up, it's just as tough as being on a steep hill. It's the kind of challenge where dropped riders churn a 39x17 at 70rpm into the wind while the field pedals away in a 53x19.

The first time it happened, on the 9th lap of a 12 lap race, I chased for about 3 minutes and gave up. After the race I looked at the results and there was only one cat3 rider who finished. Even if I'd finished last I would have been the 2nd place cat3. So when I got dropped on 8/18, after trying wildly to avoid this, I decided to motor on. How did I finish? DFL. But out of 33 starters I was the 18th and last finisher. This reminds me of the first bike races I did in 2005/2006, where I got dropped the first few times.

I'm actually happy about it. It feels like a challenge, and I like challenges.

.

1 comment:

Jesper said...

'Well done. It's the right attitude to finish races even though you've been dropped. It sounds like you are having a bit trouble at crosswinds, but maybe the competition is just stronger in this race.

Thans for sharing you experiences.